Friday, December 31, 2010

A New's Resolution To Accept

New Year’s resolutions. We all make them. At the brink of a new year everyone looks around and finds things within their life that makes them unhappy. I know but you want want to shed ten pounds, find that new exciting career opportunity, go back to school, or be able to afford to buy that new dress you’ve been eying at Chico’s. I know, I know.  But you know that if you buy that new dress then you will also want the matching shoes and purse!
This year, I have made a new kind of resolution, one of resolve and acceptance. This year I am not going to resolve to change anything. That’s right! Those pesky ten pounds can stay right where they are, because let’s face it, I like to eat, as do you. Nor am I ever going to be happy buying just the dress. This year I am just going to accept the fact that wher
e I am in life and what I have is the way things are supposed to be and are going to stay.
In a year and a half my boyfriend still hasn’t filed for divorce from his wife. Why work myself up about it every other day? He makes me happy and he doesn’t love her, so why should I care? It’s not her that he lives with and wants to be with together. He doesn’t want to get married again, and I do despite my saying “Been there, done that” because I know it’s what he wants to hear. Nothing I say is going to change what he is going to do and therefore I am not going to waste my time and energy trying to change him.
Am I thrilled with the job that I currently have? No, I am not. But that doesn’t mean that I’m going to quit my job and just hope that something else comes along in the meantime. Yes, I will continue to look for something that will increase the meaning of my life as well as the money in my pocket. But as I’ve said before, I am in this position now for a reason. Do I know what that reason is, absolutely not but I’m sure I’ll know what it is when it presents itself.
My point is, why do we spend every December 31st agonizing over what we don’t like and want to change about ourselves and our lives? Instead we should be celebrating the new year by appreciating what and who we have in our lives. Because the truth is, even once we gain what it is we wanted, there will always be something more that we wish we had. Let’s face it: We want what we can’t have, and once we have it, we don’t want it!
Go out with your loved ones, celebrate the time that you have together. Be happy for your family and your job and your significant other. Love those ten extra pounds, because they are what makes you, well, you! Trust me when I say that you look fabulous in those jeans just like that! Things and money won’t make you happy and wishing you had it will definitely only have the opposite effect on you. Live your life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it with someone that you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment